Stuart is the Principal Consultant and Managing Director of Arbor Connect Ltd. Prior to this he was the Consulting Arborist and General Manager of The Specimen Tree Company Ltd which he joined in 1995. He purchased the arboricultural consultancy division of The Specimen Tree Company Ltd in July 2016 when it was sold.
• He has been involved in the Arboriculture / Horticulture industry for 32 years in New Zealand and the United Kingdom and in that time, he has worked for arboricultural companies, wholesale tree nurseries, Auckland Botanic Gardens, private landscape companies and forest management trusts.
• He holds a Certificate in Arboriculture from The Waikato Polytechnic (now WINTEC), a Diploma of Horticulture (Distinction) and a Diploma of Parks and Garden Technology from Lincoln University, and a National Certificate of Horticulture (Amenity) from the Royal New Zealand Institute of Horticulture. He is also a qualified Quantified Tree Risk Assessor (QTRA) and an International Society of Arboriculture Tree Risk Assessor.
• He has experience in all aspects of arboriculture including preparing written reports, undertaking surveys, preparing and presenting evidence at Council hearings and the Environmental Court, project management and implementation of contract work, monitoring of excavations adjacent to trees, broad horticultural knowledge including in tree identification and nomenclature, extensive experience with the suitability of mature trees for transplanting, comprehensive skills in urban forestry management systems including tree pit planting systems. He is very experienced with working with large multi-disciplinary teams on complex infrastructure projects.
• Since the commencement of Arbor Connect Ltd and whilst employed by The Specimen Tree Company Ltd he has been involved in providing services in consultancy, transplanting and landscape works, tree nursery and tree surgery for a diverse client base that includes central and local government, residential property owners, landscape architects and contractors, property developers, construction companies, golf courses and schools.
• Each year Stuart spends a day with the Wintec Certificate in Arboriculture Level 4 Students lecturing on tree transplanting.
• Away from Arbor Connect Stuart runs a volunteer group that undertakes weed and pest removal within the Birkenhead War Memorial Park and is involved in a Trust that manages a forestry block that grows native trees for timber as well has quality Radiata Pine, Cypress and other exotics.