Stuart is the Principal Consultant and Managing Director of Arbor Connect Ltd. Prior to this he was the Consulting Arborist and General Manager of The Specimen Tree Company Ltd which he joined in 1995. He purchased the arboricultural consultancy division of The Specimen Tree Company Ltd in July 2016 when it was sold.
• He has been involved in the Arboriculture / Horticulture industry for 32 years in New Zealand and the United Kingdom and in that time, he has worked for arboricultural companies, wholesale tree nurseries, Auckland Botanic Gardens, private landscape companies and forest management trusts.
• He holds a Certificate in Arboriculture from The Waikato Polytechnic (now WINTEC), a Diploma of Horticulture (Distinction) and a Diploma of Parks and Garden Technology from Lincoln University, and a National Certificate of Horticulture (Amenity) from the Royal New Zealand Institute of Horticulture. He is also a qualified Quantified Tree Risk Assessor (QTRA) and an International Society of Arboriculture Tree Risk Assessor.
• He has experience in all aspects of arboriculture including preparing written reports, undertaking surveys, preparing and presenting evidence at Council hearings and the Environmental Court, project management and implementation of contract work, monitoring of excavations adjacent to trees, broad horticultural knowledge including in tree identification and nomenclature, extensive experience with the suitability of mature trees for transplanting, comprehensive skills in urban forestry management systems including tree pit planting systems. He is very experienced with working with large multi-disciplinary teams on complex infrastructure projects.
• Since the commencement of Arbor Connect Ltd and whilst employed by The Specimen Tree Company Ltd he has been involved in providing services in consultancy, transplanting and landscape works, tree nursery and tree surgery for a diverse client base that includes central and local government, residential property owners, landscape architects and contractors, property developers, construction companies, golf courses and schools.
• Each year Stuart spends a day with the Wintec Certificate in Arboriculture Level 4 Students lecturing on tree transplanting.
• Away from Arbor Connect Stuart runs a volunteer group that undertakes weed and pest removal within the Birkenhead War Memorial Park and is involved in a Trust that manages a forestry block that grows native trees for timber as well has quality Radiata Pine, Cypress and other exotics.
We provide a specialist consultancy service covering all aspects of trees including:
Inspections for tree health and safety Implication studies for Resource Consent applications;
Tree moving feasibility assessments;
Tree asset management surveys and reports;
Tree selection for planting plans;
Monitoring of protected trees during site development.
The services that we offer range from diagnosis of ill health in a single tree in a residential garden, through to preparing an arboricultural implication report on a proposed development site.
To view Stuart Barton's full profile please click Stuart's profile image.
Current and past consultancy projects have included:
Auckland Botanic Gardens (2017) – Providing hazard assessments of selected trees.
Auckland Transport (2016 – current) – Providing an arboricultural assessment for the Resource Consent application of the cycle lanes in Grey Lynn and West Lynn as part of the Waitemata Safe Routes project and providing consultancy and monitoring during construction stage.
NXN Apartment Complex (2016 – current) – Providing arboricultural assessment report for the Resource Consent application for Templeton Kingsland Ltd and monitoring of construction works.
Te Onewa Pa / Stokes Point (2016 – current) – providing arboricultural advise and monitoring during the landscape construction stage, including devising methodologies for works within the root zone of coastal Pohutukawa trees.
Fletcher Living (2015 – current) - Providing arboricultural consultancy and monitoring for development projects including Moire Road, Eugenia Rise, Manukau Golf Course and Peninsula Golf Course.
Wynyard Quarter (2013 – current) – Providing arboricultural consultancy to Waterfront Auckland and Auckland Transport for the Resource Consent applications for streetscape upgrades. Project managed the tree planting for Daldy and Halsey Street upgrades.
Housing New Zealand (2009 – current) – Providing arboricultural consultancy for development projects including Tuata Street, Canal Road and Tonar Street.
Aotea Precinct (2005 - current) – Project managed the soft landscaping works of Aotea Square Redevelopment, providing ongoing advice for the maintenance of the trees and provided a transplanting feasibility and methodology report for the relocation of six mature London Plane trees and six semi-mature Pin Oak trees at Aotea Square for the proposed underground extension of the Civic car park.
Diocesan School for Girls (2005 – current) - Providing arboricultural consultancy during the planning, Resource Consent and construction stages for the Pool Complex, Common Room, Artificial Hockey field and car parking and Arts Centre and evaluation and monitoring of Scheduled Trees.
Saint Kentigern Trust (2005 – current) – Providing arboricultural consultancy during the planning, Resource Consent and construction stages of developments and undertaking tree surveys and hazard assessments for St Kentigern College, St Kentigern School for Boys and St Kentigern School for Girls – Corran.
One Tree Hill (Maungakiekie) (2000 – current) – Providing arboricultural advice regarding the options for the re-planting of the summit of One Tree Hill following the removal of the vandalised Pine tree, propagating and growing on of trees for planting on the summit, providing advice and for the planting of the summit trees and undertaking monitoring of the planted trees.
Auckland CBD Street Upgrades (2006 – 2016) – Project Manager and Relationship Champion for partnership for the supply and planting of streetscape upgrades for Queen Street, Elliot and Darby Streets, St Patrick’s Square, Fort Street, Lorne Street, O’Connell Street and Federal Street.
Hurstmere Road, Takapuna (2014) – Undertaking a survey of the existing trees and evaluating proposed replacement species for the proposed streetscape upgrade.
Victoria Park Tunnel (2002 – 2012) – Providing Arboricultural Implication reports on varying tunnel and bridge options. Preparation of and presenting evidence for Council hearing, including preparing proposed conditions of consent, and providing consultancy and monitoring during construction stage.
Arbor Connect provides specialist consultancy services covering all aspects of trees including
- Arboricultural assessments for resource consent applications.
- Tree protection methodologies for trees on construction sites
- Tree moving feasibility assessments
- Tree asset management surveys and reports
- Tree hazard assessments
- Tree evaluations
- Tree selection for planting plans
- Monitoring and supervision of protected trees during site development
Transplanting and Landscaping
Arbor Connect is able to assist with……